Online Poker Play
The basic definition of Poker is the name given to a particular card community game where players bet on the strength of the cards you hold. Online poker play includes a communal "pot" that basically consists of players' wagers. You win this pot amount if you either hold the strongest hand or make a wager that is unmatched to your opponents.
Most of the poker online games begin with some kind of forced wager over which all players compete. There are different types of online poker play variations such as Seven Card Stud, Texas Hold'em, Omaha Hi/Lo, Let ‘em Ride, Caribbean Stud Poker, and lots more. These are the important poker rules or actions I would call them, that you need to make note of:
- Check- You’re allowed to check if there is no bet placed on the current betting round. If you choose to make a check then it means that you have passed on the action to the next player (clockwise). This does not mean that you lose your chance at the pot; it is applicable only for the current round of bets. If all players in the game choose to check during a particular betting round, then the round is considered complete.
- Bet – This happens when you choose to raise money or bet during a current round of betting. The betting round moves in a clockwise direction. When you place a bet, the other players can choose to fold, raise, or call.
- Fold – When you choose to ‘fold’ you give up the game and your chance at the pot. Once you choose to fold you are not allowed to raise bets or proceed further in the game.
- Call – You can make a call when you want another player to raise bets in order to match your wager. This option is available if there has been a bet on the current round.
- Raise – You can ‘raise’ if there has been a bet made in the present round of bets. When you raise, you are required to match your current bet to make a bigger one. The other players are then required to call the raise or re-raise the bet to maintain their chance at the pot.
Bets continue in a clockwise movement for each betting round, until the last casino online poker player or raiser acts. There are a total of four betting rounds in a standard poker game and after the last bet or raise is made the "showdown" takes place. The winner is determined after the showdown. The winner takes the pot.
- Royal Flush – five high cards in sequence with the same suit
- Straight Flush - five cards in sequence from the same suit
- Four of a Kind – four cards of the same rank of different suit
- Full House – three cards of the same rank and a pair of another rank
- Flush – any five cards of the same suit
- Straight – five cards in sequence but different suit
- Three of a Kind – three cards of the same rank with two unrelated cards
- Two Pair – two cards of the same rank along with another two cards of similar rank
- One Pair – a single pair of cards with the same rank but different suit
- High Card – any qualifying high card in your poker hand